Sunday, March 11, 2012

South African Pilot Eval

Every year, Gabonese civil aviation mandates that pilots take a re-certification flight on each aircraft make and model that they wish to continue flying in the year to come.  Even very similar aircraft- like a Cessna 206 or Cessna 207.  You must be re-evaluated in each.  Since my Gabonese pilot license is issued in reference to my FAA license, there is some gray area as to which regulations over-rule the other, but it's better to play it safe.

To maintain my privileges in flying the Beechcraft Baron, I traveled to South Africa along with my friend, Egmont.  With my travel, lodging, and meals being paid by the owner of the aircraft, it wasn't much more out of our pocket to have Alace come with me to enjoy a week in a new country she had never visited.

Here are some of the photos.  See all the photos CLICK HERE 

Egmont flies for an agricultural company that likes to keep me on standby as pilot on their Beechcraft Baron (6 seat, twin engine aircraft).  Most days, Egmont is flying their other aircraft- a twin engine turbo prop aircraft- a Piper Cheyenne.

Our check pilot, Anton, owns the Gryphon Flight Academy.  Some of their students fly for the regional airlines in Gabon!  Small world.

Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork...

Preflight, preflight, preflight...

Finally... up, up, and away into the South African skies!

Lanseria International Airport

Anton, our instructor.

No comments:

Post a Comment