Friday, April 10, 2009

International Press Coverage of Gabon Strikes

The international press has not given much coverage to the public hospital (nurses) strike in Gabon. Here is a link to one such article.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/474a675287bb0602d03650676f597417.htm

Here are a couple of outtakes from the article...

"This strike has cost lives," said a resident from the capital Libreville who identified himself only as Charles. Citizens told IRIN they are reluctant to speak on the record about public policy for fear of reprisals by the authorities. Charles said his 42-year-old brother, who suffered high blood pressure, died shortly after being turned away from the main public hospital, Centre Hospitalier de Libreville (CHL)."

"I hope this strike will end soon," said 31-year-old Myriam, who is pregnant. She said she was recently turned away for a scheduled prenatal consultation at CHL. "I am asking myself whether I am going to have my baby in that hospital. But what else can I do, given that I do not have the means to go to a private clinic?"

No comments:

Post a Comment